Marriage Licenses / Civil Unions

Where to Apply

  • If either partner is a resident of New Jersey, the license must be obtained in the town where either partner lives.
  • If neither partner are residents of New Jersey, then the license must be obtained in the town where the marriage / civil union will take place. The actual license will only be valid in that town.


  • The fee for a license in New Jersey is normally $28, however the State is waiving the fee until further notice. 
  • A New Jersey license may never be used in another state or country, and a license issued in another state or country may never be used in New Jersey.

Who Can Perform a Ceremony

  • Any Federal District Court Judge
  • Any mayor, deputy mayor, or chairman of any township committee or village president
  • County Clerks
  • Every minister of every religion
  • Municipal, Superior, and Tax Court Judges
  • United States Magistrates

Application Information

  • Registrars hours are between 8:30 a.m. - noon and from 2-4 p.m.
  • There is a three business day waiting period from application date to issue date. Holidays and weekends, when this office is closed, will also effect the issue date.
  • A marriage license is only good for 30 days from issue date.
  • Both the applicants must appear in person with one witness 18 years or older. The applicants do not have to appear at the same time, but must appear with the same witness.

What to Bring

  • One witness 18 years or older..
  • The places of birth of the parents of the applicants. Specify state or country if outside of the USA.
  • The ceremony date.
  • The town and facility name where the ceremony will be performed.
  • The name and the full mailing address of the person who will perform the ceremony.
  • The full names of the fathers and the full maiden name of the mothers of the couple.
  • The Social Security numbers for the couple.
  • Photo identification such as a driver's license or passport for both partners.
  • If either partner was married before, a copy of the final divorce decree must be shown.
  • If either partner was widowed, a copy of the death certificate must be shown.
  • If either partner is under 18 years of age, then consent of both parents is needed. Consent forms are available from the Registrar's Office.
  • If either partner is under 16 years of age, then consent from both parents is needed as well as judicial approval. Consent forms are available from the Registrar's Office.

Where to File the License

  • The license must indicate and be filed with the Registrar of Vital Statistics in the municipality where the ceremony was performed by the person who performed the ceremony.
  • Remember that some towns have multiple mailing addresses. The license must be filed in the town where performed, not the town of the mailing address of the facility. If the license indicates "Morristown" but the facility is really in the "Township of Morris", the license will need to be corrected causing a delay in issuance.