- Police Department
- Detective Bureau
- Firearms Information
- Go to https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars (FARS Online System)
- You will be asked to enter the Morris Township Police Department's Originating Agency Identifier (ORI) number, which is NJ0142200. Please ensure it is correct before proceeding.
- If you are a first time applicant, follow the instructions for being fingerprinted at IdentGo in the online portal.
- If you are a repeat applicant, please have your SBI Number available, which is on your Firearms Identification Card, to enter in the portal.
- If you have any questions please email email@example.com
*Please use the EXACT name and address on your current New Jersey Driver's License when you fill out the application.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Utilize the FARS on-line System for:
- Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
- Permit to Purchase a Handgun
- Lost or Stolen Identification Card
- Mutilated Identification Card
- Change of Address on Identification Card
- Change of Sex on Identification Card
- Change of Name on Identification Card
Applying for a Permit to Carry a Handgun
The following instructions are the same for the initial and renewal application
For Morris Township Residents ONLY
Please provide the following items at time of application:
- Driver’s license & birth certificate OR driver’s license & passport OR driver’s license and naturalization paperwork/green card.
- One (1) state of New Jersey State Police applications for permit to carry a handgun (form SP642-Revised 1/2023). Must be double sided and notarized.
- Two (2) color passport size photographs.
- Consent for mental health search (form SP066).
- Written proof of ownership and qualification with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying.
- Proof of ownership can be a purchase receipt or purchase permit or a notarized latter of ownership listing the make, model, caliber and serial number of the handgun (s).
- Written qualification must be within ix (6) months of application and include instructors name and certification, make, model, caliber and serial number of the handgun (s) you intend to carry.
- Money Order in the amount of $50.00 payable to: “Treasurer, State of New Jersey” and a $150.00 check made out to the “Township of Morris.” (NOT THE POLICE DEPARTMENT).
ALL APPLICANTS (INITAIL & RENEWAL) FOR PERMIT TO CARRY A HANDGUN MUST BE FINGERPRINTED. INSTRUCTIONS FOR FINGERPRINTING WILL BE PROVIDED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION. PLEASE GO TO https://uenroll.identogo.com/ Use Service Code: 2F164B, ORI Code: NJ0142200 AND CASE # 1234.
- THE REQUIRED WRITTEN FIREARMS QUALIFICATION, ACCORDANCE WITH N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(B), CAN BE OBTAINED AT MOST FIREARM RANGES THROUGH OUT THE STATE. A LIST IS ALSO AVAILABLE: WWW.NJSP.ORG > PUBLIC INFORMATION > FIREARMS INFORMATION > NEW JERSEY SHOOTING RANGES FOR RPO QUALIFICATION.
- A NEW JERSEY PERMIT TO CARRY IS VALID FOR TWO (2) YEARS FROM THE TIME OF APPROVAL.
- IF ANY OF THE PRECEDING IS NOT COMPLETE OR INCORRECT THE APPLICATION WIL BE RETURNED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-APPLY.
All applicants are encouraged to email the Morris Township Police Department Firearms Unit prior to bringing the application to headquarters at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Apply for Firearms Permit / Firearms ID Card (refer to PD Firearms Info page for ORI)
- FAQs(Transportation, Hollow Points, Inheritance, Assault Weapons, etc…)
- Forms to Download
- E-RPO – Retired Law Enforcement Permit to Carry Handgun Information / Application
- New Jersey Shooting Ranges For RPO Qualifications