Public Health Nursing
Public Health Nursing is the practice of promoting and protecting the health of populations using knowledge from nursing, social and public health sciences. This practice is population focused with the goals of promoting health and preventing disease and disability for all people through the creation of conditions in which people can be healthy. Morris Township contracts through a shared services agreement with Hanover Township Public health Nursing services. The nurse is available in Morris Township on Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Blood Pressure Clinics - The Health Department offers Blood Pressure screenings on the third Tuesday of the month from 10am-11:30am in meeting rm 1 at the Morris Township Municipal Building. No screening in August.
- Cancer Screenings: Male Prostate Cancer - this screening is for men ages 50-74, unless there is a family history. The screening includes a digital rectal exam and a PSA blood test. The screening is held in the Spring. Please call the Health Department for information. 973-326-7390. Female Cancer Screening - The American Cancer Society recommends that women ages 21-65 receive a pelvic exam and Pap test every 3 years. A clinical breast exam is recommended for women in their 20's and 30's every 3 years. Yearly mammograms are recommended beginning at age 40. Women who do not have insurance may qualify for a NJCEED grant which can provide screening services for those eligible. Please contact Morristown Medical Center 973-971-5952.
- Communicable Disease Investigation - Our goal is to prevent or reduce the spread of communicable disease among our residents. Communicable Disease surveillance enhances our control efforts and helps develop prevention/intervention strategies and policies. Communicable disease investigations are carried out by the Public Health nurse and other Health Department staff if necessary.
- Health Education
- Annual Influenza Vaccination Clinics - The Department offers flu vaccinations for seniors, adults and children. Please check the Health Department calendar for dates.
- Immunizations and Child Health Conference - children from birth to 18 years. The Health department has partnered with the Zufall Health Center to meet the needs of Township residents who require these services.. They include well baby,child visits and immunizations. The center, a Federally Qualified Health Center; can provide well visits and also a medical home for children who have no insurance. There is also staff available to assist with applications for NJ Family Care to obtain insurance. The Health center is located at 2-4 Atno Avenue, Morristown. 973-267-0002.
- Senior Health - The Public Health Nurse is available to assist seniors and their families in accessing community services and directing to appropriate care and resources. The nurse can assist and make recommendations of services and professionals in the community to obtain the best services available in Morris County.
- Annual Adult Blood Screening - This screening is held each year in April. The screening includes tests for cholesterol, triglycerides, fasting blood sugar, kidney and liver function tests and a complete blood count (cbc). For further information please call the Health Department. 973-326-7390.
Wed Dec. 21Board of Health Meeting Meetings are now in-person at the Municipal Buildi...