Road Opening Permit
Road Opening Permits are required for any work proposed in the Township Right of Way (ROW). The Township Right-of-way (ROW) generally extends 10' beyond the edge of the roadway. A permit, fees, and insurance documentation from the contractor performing the work is to be submitted for any excavation work, or installation of, but not limited to, the following:
Residential/ Commercial Improvements:
- Drainage(sump pump, discharges, leaders, drywell overflows, etc)
- Tree Stump removal
- Sanitary Sewer
- Water lines (distribution & private)
- Natural gas lines
- Electric lines
- Communication lines (phone, cable, fiber-optics etc,)
- Structures (utility poles, fire hydrants, utility cabinets, manholes, vaults, etc.)
- Asphalt repairs
- Storm water drainage systems
- Sign installations
- Test pits
- Soil borings
Inspections are performed to ensure the work is completed in accordance with the required specifications, proper compaction is completed and safe conditions exist for the motoring public. For any opening in the pavement a bond is held for a period of one year to ensure the repair does not settle. After one year a final inspection is performed and if the repair is satisfactory the bond will be released.
The permitting process allows us to track who completed the work at each location and if there is a problem we can have the ability to contact the contractor responsible for the work to complete the necessary repairs
- Where do I report street light problems?
- What can I do about my neighbor's tree branch that overhangs onto my property?
- I have several trees I wish to remove. Do I need approval to remove these trees?
- Why are there utility flags on my road or property?
- When do I need engineering or zoning permits?
- What do I need to do to install a pool?
Jim SlateTownship Engineer
David HansenAssistant Engineer / Zoning Officer
Bernard SengerAssistant Engineer
Erin DohertySecretary / Notary
Joseph SchwabJr. Design Eng/CAD Op./Pro Mgr./Inspector
50 Woodland Avenue
Morristown, NJ 07960
50 Woodland Avenue
PO Box 7603
Convent Station, NJ 07961-7603