Types & Fees
Type 1 Permit: $54
- This includes events such as bonfires.
- The use of a torch or flame producing device to remove paint from, or seal membrane roofs on, any roof or structure.
- The use of tents and temporary tensioned membrane structures without appurtenance.
- The use of any open flame or flame-producing device in connection with any public gathering.
- Welding or cutting operations except where the work is performed in an approved area and is covered by a Type B life hazard use.
- The possession or use of explosives or blasting agents other than model rocketry engines.
- The use of any open flame-producing device in connection with training of non-fire service personnel.
- The occasional use in any building of a multipurpose room, with a maximum permitted occupancy of 100 or more for amusement, entertainment, or mercantile type purposes.
- The storage or handling of Class I flammable liquids in closed containers of aggregate amounts of more than 10 gallons but not more than 660 gallons inside a building, or more than 60 gallons but not more than 660 gallons outside a building.
- The storage or handling of Class II or III-A combustible liquids in closed containers of aggregate amounts of more than 25 gallons but not more than 660 gallons inside a building, or more than 60 gallons but not more than 660 gallons outside a building.
- Any permanent cooking operation that requires a suppression system in accordance with N.J.A.C. 5:70-4.7(g) and is not defined as a life hazard use in accordance with N.J.A.C. 5:70-2.4.
Type 2 Permit: $214
- For services such as fumigation or thermal insecticide fogging.
- Carnivals and circuses employing mobile enclosed structures used for human occupancy.
- Using liquefied petroleum gas (LPG or propane), liquefied natural gas, and compressed flammable gas in containers exceeding five pound capacity.
Type 3 Permit: $427
- Industrial processing ovens or furnaces operating at approximately atmospheric pressures and temperatures not exceeding 1,400 degrees Fahrenheit, which are heated with oil or gas fuel, or which contain flammable vapors from the product being produced.
- Wrecking yards, junk yards, outdoor used tire storage, waste material handling plants, and outside storage of forest products not otherwise classified.
- The storage or discharge of fireworks.
Type 4 Permit: $641
- To store or handle, except medicines, beverages, foodstuffs, cosmetics, and other common consumer items, when packaged according to commonly accepted practices, the following sizes and conditions.
- An amount more than 10 pounds of flammable solids.
- An amount more than 10 pounds of organic peroxides.
- An amount more than 1,000 pounds of ammonium nitrate.
- An amount more than 55 gallons of corrosive liquids.
- An amount more than 500 pounds of nitromethane.
- An amount more than one microcurie of radium not contained in a sealed source.
- An amount more than one millicurie of radium or other radiation material in a sealed source or sources.
- Any amount of radioactive material for which a specific license from the nuclear regulatory commission is required.
- The melting, casting, heat treating, machining, or grinding of more than 10 pounds of magnesium per working day .
- The storage, handling, and processing of flammable, combustible, and unstable liquids in closed containers and portable tanks in aggregate amounts of more than 660 gallons.